In the Wings: Single Session Intervention
“In the Wings” is Butterfly’s free Single Session Intervention (SSI) providing evidence-based assessment and psychoeducation for people waitlisted for eating disorder treatment under an Eating Disorders Treatment Plan (EDTP) or Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP).
In the Wings is currently in pilot phase and will only be available until 30 June 2022. The SSI was developed by Anthea Fursland PhD, FAED and Susan Byrne PhD, DPhil for The Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI) in Western Australia, and has been shown to facilitate early reductions in eating disorder symptoms, an increase in the likelihood of people entering treatment and a reduction in waitlist length.
“In the Wings” is facilitated by psychologists trained by Drs Fursland and Byrne. We aim to provide participants with:
- a free 60-to-90-minute online session
- psychoeducation about the physical and psychosocial consequences of eating disorders
- a provisional diagnosis
- an understanding of the factors that are maintaining their eating disorder
- a range of psychoeducational resources
- a plan to work with while people wait to be offered ongoing treatment.
Are you waiting for eating disorder treatment? Call your health professionals office, inform them about In the Wings and ask to be referred.
- participants must have a GP referral to enroll for the session
- they must be waiting for eating disorder treatment under an Eating Disorders Treatment Plan (EDTP) or Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP)
- they must be at least 16 years old
- the SSI is not a treatment program and is suitable only for those currently awaiting evidence-based treatment for an eating disorder in the community
- the sessions are free
- In The Wings is currently only receiving referrals from GP’s and Psychologists during the initial pilot phase.
The Butterfly Foundation takes participant safety and wellbeing seriously. We are unable to offer medical monitoring and, therefore, require all participants to be regularly monitored by their GP to ensure medical wellness and stability at all times.