Butterfly Body Bright Program
Welcome to Butterfly Body Bright, an exciting Australian first, whole of school program to promote positive body image and healthy attitudes and behaviours towards the body, eating, and physical activity in primary school-aged children.
Who is Butterfly Body Bright for?
For EVERY PRIMARY SCHOOL across Australia seeking to build a positive foundation for the development of body image and healthy attitudes and behaviours in children and build an appearance inclusive school community.
Butterfly Body Bright is:
- An online program being designed to promote positive body image and healthy attitudes and behaviours in an appearance-inclusive environment in primary schools across Australia.
- Mapped to the Australian Health and Physical Education Curriculum (in addition to NSW, VIC and WA).
- Designed in collaboration with body image, eating disorder, and education experts alongside primary school educators.
Butterfly Body Bright comprises
School culture strategies
A framework of strategies to guide the whole school community to work together to promote positive body image and healthy attitudes and behaviours.
Training modules to increase knowledge for all primary school staff, including content on effective role modelling and program implementation.
Classroom activities to be embedded within the Health and Physical Education curricula, which target known risk factors of body dissatisfaction and disordered eating.
Support and resources for families.
BE A BUTTERFLY BODY BRIGHT PRIMARY SCHOOL by encouraging children to be BODY…
Research tells us that:
- body dissatisfaction is an important risk factor for negative physical, mental and social outcomes, including unhealthy dieting and muscle building behaviours, depression, anxiety, and eating disorders.
- body dissatisfaction is repeatedly one of the top-ranked issues for young Australians.
- body dissatisfaction is reported by approximately 50% of pre-adolescent girls, and increasingly pre-adolescent boys are reporting a desire for a more muscular body.
- stigmatising weight attitudes are forming from very early in childhood, which can lead to teasing about appearance and in turn the development of body dissatisfaction and unhealthy behaviours.
- greater body concerns from ages 5 and 7 have been shown to predict dieting by age 9.
- by the time they reach adolescence, 1 in 6 girls have already employed at least one potentially dangerous method of weight reduction.
These findings highlight the need to foster a positive foundation for body satisfaction and healthy behaviours from childhood.
Peers play an important role in shaping how children feel about their body and the body of others – that’s why primary schools are an important avenue for implementing body dissatisfaction and eating disorder prevention programs.
Butterfly Body Bright will provide primary schools with the tools to promote positive body image and healthy behaviours in their school community using their existing infrastructure.
Butterfly Body Bright is a strength-based, evidence-informed universal prevention program that aims to foster a positive foundation for children’s developing body image. It aims to equip students with skills to be confident in their body and build resilience to risk factors that underpin the development of body dissatisfaction and disordered eating.
The program is currently in development and aims to be evaluated late in 2020.
Butterfly Body Bright will be available to primary schools across Australia in 2021, stay tuned by registering below!
Be a Butterfly Body Bright Primary School!
Register your interest
The program will be launched to the Australian education and health community in 2021. If you would like to be involved in the evaluation of the program (evaluation) or be one of the first to know when the program is available (launch), please register your interest below.
Get in touch
If you are interested in finding out more about Butterfly Body Bright, please contact the project manager, Dr Stephanie Damiano (email@example.com).
For general enquiries about our prevention services please email:
The development of Butterfly Body Bright has been made possible through a generous donation from FDC Construction.