Let’s talk understanding eating disorders – for tertiary students
Audience: Tertiary Students
Session Length: 1hr
Group Size: 200 maximum
This session provides an overview of how body and eating issue can develop, the importance of a healthy body image, the risk and protective factors for disordered eating and eating disorders. It explores barriers to help seeking and gives advice on approaching someone you may be concerned about.
In this session, young people will explore:
- The differences between mental health problems and mental illnesses.
- The spectrum of body and eating attitudes and behaviours, from healthy to disordered.
- Risk and protective factors for eating disorders
- Causes and co-morbidities
- Warning signs for when thinking and behaviours are becoming problematic
- The importance of help seeking and strategies for early intervention
- Ideas for creating a body positive student culture
Risk factors addresses
- Low self-esteem
- Body dissatisfaction
- Restrictive dieting
Protective factors supported
- Emotional well-being
- Peer or social support structures
- Problem solving and coping skills