Position Vacant: Carer Peer Support Facilitator (casual)
- Australia’s largest national organisation supporting people with eating disorders and body image concerns
- Rewarding, dynamic and innovative role in a well-established not-for-profit
- Supported by passionate and committed colleagues
- Based in either Hobart, Sydney or Remote
- Generous salary packaging options
- Casual, ongoing role
Butterfly Foundation is Australia’s national charity for eating disorders and body image issues, providing a voice for those affected and the people who care for them. Eating disorders are severe and complex mental illnesses with physical complications, and the medical, psychological, physical and social consequences can be long term and for many, life threatening.
Butterfly advocates for improved services from government, health and mental health organisations and the eating disorder sector, raising awareness in the media, with key stakeholders and via community engagement. Butterfly runs Australia’s only national Helpline for eating disorders and body image issues, supporting nearly 40,000 people every year; delivers evidence-based clinical treatment and support programs; and provides prevention initiatives in schools and the community to combat negative body image issues.
About the role
The primary purpose of this role is to provide hope for recovery and peer support through various activities working directly with people currently caring for a loved one, family member, partner or friend experiencing an eating disorder.
The role aims to provide safe, supportive and recovery-focused environments, utilising your lived experience of being a carer to facilitate support.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with the RSS Manager to ensure uninterrupted service delivery for provision of carer support groups and programs.
- Appropriately and safely share and discuss common experiences with group and program participants, assisting to initiate, establish and maintain supportive relationships within the groups.
- Co-facilitate group programs, including delivery of education and awareness activities.
- Keep accurate and up to date records of attendance at support groups, individual mentorships, health records, and programs facilitated.
- Assist in reporting data around engagement and service usage to the RSS Manager along with feedback on outcomes and on any significant issues.
- Attend team meetings and supervision with a supervisor.
To see the FULL Responsibilities & Selection Criteria, please view the Position Description on our website: www.butterfly.org.au/careers
- Lived experience of caring for someone with an eating disorder.
- Peer support facilitators who have experienced caring for a person with an eating disorder who has been recovered for at least two years.
- An understanding of eating disorders and disordered eating, body image and related issues and of their impact both on the individual experiencing the issue and, on their families, friends partners and other carers.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills with a caring and empathetic approach and ability to establish rapport.
- Insight and understanding of the wide range of issues that are commonly present for people with eating disorders and their families/partners and caregivers.
- A clear understanding of professional boundaries, confidentiality, privacy principles and practices.
- An understanding of common co-morbid conditions with eating disorders and an ability to provide support and referrals as needed.
- A good understanding of best practice principles for supporting those with or caring for someone with an eating disorder.
For the FULL Selection Criteria
All applicants should supply a cover letter and resume. Please address the selection criteria as detailed in the Position Description in a separate cover letter.
We welcome applications from people with lived experience of eating disorders and/or other mental health conditions, and their family members/carers.
Applications should be submitted by email to Human Resources at email@example.com with the Subject Title: Peer Support Facilitator (Carer)
Closing Date: Sunday the 30th of April 2023, please note that if we receive a high level of applications, the vacancy may close earlier than stated. Therefore, we would encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
For enquiries about this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org