Position Vacant: Communications Manager
- Australia’s largest national organisation supporting people with eating disorders and body image concerns
- Rewarding, dynamic and innovating role in a well-established not-for-profit
- Supported by passionate and committed colleagues
- Based in either Sydney or Melbourne, with the opportunity to occasionally work remotely from home
- Generous salary packaging options
- Full time, permanent role
Butterfly Foundation is Australia’s national charity for eating disorders and body image issues, providing a voice for those affected and the people who care for them. Eating disorders are severe and complex mental illnesses with physical complications, and the medical, psychological, physical and social consequences can be long term and for many, life threatening.
Butterfly advocates for improved services from government, health and mental health organisations and the eating disorder sector, raising awareness in the media, with key stakeholders and via community engagement. Butterfly runs Australia’s only national Helpline for eating disorders and body image issues, seven days a week; delivers evidence-based clinical treatment and support programs; and provides prevention initiatives in schools and the community to combat negative body image issues.
About the role
The role of the Communications Manager is to manage Butterfly’s digital platforms, campaign, media and social media engagement, lived experience speaker and ambassador program and build, maintain and support effective communication with Butterfly’s supporters, donors, lived experience network, stakeholders and the general public, using the appropriate communication channels.
Reporting to the Head of Communications & Engagement this position will work closely with Butterfly’s staff, external PR agency, external suppliers and with Butterfly’s NEDC, Wandi Nerida, other service delivery and fundraising teams. The Communications Manager will also liaise directly with the CEO on media opportunities and will report to the Senior Leadership Team and all staff on media outreach, campaign objectives and results.
To see the FULL Selection Criteria, please view the Position Description
- Minimum qualification – degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related to health sciences, or equivalent demonstrated experience of at least 5 years.
- Strong media relations skills with at least two years’ experience in the area of media engagement.
- Proven track record in implementing successful campaigns and messaging through social media, websites and online platforms/technological communication systems.
- Solid experience in making information accessible to a wide range of audiences using multiple communication methods, particularly e-communications and digital channels.
- Ability to quickly comprehend the complexities and sensitivities surrounding communications which impact on mental health issues, with demonstrated experience in handling sensitive communications.
- Excellent general communication skills, particularly written and visual communication.
- Demonstrated project management skills, including project budget management.
- Highly computer literate with strong understanding and experience in use of web content management systems, data analysis tools and media reporting tools such as Meltwater News, Meltwater Buzz, Google Adwords, Google analytics, and knowledge of SEO.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
Download the full position description
All applicants should supply a cover letter and resume. Please address the selection criteria as detailed in the Position Description in a separate cover letter. The interview process may involve completing a task should your application progress.
We welcome applications from people with lived experience of eating disorders and/or other mental health conditions, and their family members/carers.
Applications should be submitted by email to Human Resources at email@example.com with the Subject Title: Communications Manager
Closing Date: Sunday the 26th of March 2023, please note that if we receive a high level of applications, the vacancy may close earlier than stated. Therefore, we would encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
For enquiries about this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org