Position Vacant: Counsellor, Butterfly National Helpline
Be an inspiring clinician, improving outcomes for people living with eating disorders.
Be Part of the Solution!
- Australia’s largest organisation supporting people with eating disorders
- Rewarding Counsellor role in not-for-profit
- Surrounded by passionate and supportive colleagues
- Great salary packaging options
- Part-time, Fixed-term Contracts, until the 30th June 2021, with the possibility of an extension
- Numerous shifts available; Monday to Sunday, 12.00pm-8.00pm and 4:30pm-12:30am
Are You Ready to Help Make a Change?
Butterfly Foundation is Australia’s national charity for eating disorders and body image issues, providing a voice for those affected and the people who care for them. Eating disorders are severe and complex mental illnesses with physical complications, and the medical, psychological, physical and social consequences can be long term and for many, life threatening.
Butterfly advocates for improved services from government, health and mental health organisations, and the eating disorder sector, raising awareness in the media and via community engagement. Butterfly runs Australia’s only national Eating Disorders Helpline, seven days a week; evidence-based clinical treatment and support programs; and delivers prevention initiatives in schools and the community to combat negative body image issues.
About the Role
In this unique role, you will use your sound counselling skills and experience to provide support and care to those effected by eating disorders and their carers via our National ED Helpline, webchat and e-mail.
Our warm and supportive Butterfly National Helpline team operates from 8am to midnight 7 days a week which provides flexibility in working arrangements.
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Direct provision of counselling and support, general information about eating disorders and advice to people with lived experience of an eating disorder, family members or carers and friends of people with lived experience of an eating disorder, teachers, health and community professionals and other concerned members of the community.
- Liaise directly with health service practitioners and emergency services where necessary.
- Direct provision of referrals and information to health professionals and the public regarding evidence-based treatment options.
- Collect accurate data and up-to-date case records of all phone, email, web-based and face-to-face counselling interactions.
- Qualifications: Minimum – bachelor’s degree in psychology, counselling or social work.
- Full or Provisional registration as a psychologist; or full registration as a counsellor or psychotherapist with PACFA or ACA; or a degree certified social worker.
- Direct experience of working with people with an eating disorder or other mental illness in a counselling or support role.
- A good basic understanding of eating disorders and disordered eating, body image and related issues and of their impact both on the individual experiencing the issue and on their families, friends, partners and other carers.
- An understanding of other mental health conditions commonly co-morbid with eating disorders (e.g. depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder) and an ability to provide counselling, support and further referrals with respect to these areas.
- An understanding of the nature of supportive counselling and of the difference between short-term supportive counselling and longer term therapeutic counselling.
- A commitment to recovery focused practice.
All applicants should supply their resume, and must address the Selection Criteria as detailed in the Position Description in a separate cover letter.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted by email to Human Resources at email@example.com with Subject Title:
Counsellor, Butterfly National Helpline
For enquiries about this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org