Position Vacant: Helpline Supervisor
- Australia’s largest organisation supporting people with eating disorders.
- Rewarding Counsellor role in not-for-profit.
- Surrounded by passionate and supportive colleagues.
- Great salary packaging options.
- Minimum of 15 – 18 hour part-time position available, inclusive of evenings and weekends.
- Current shifts available are; Monday & Friday 7.30pm – 12:30am, and weekend morning or evening shifts available.
- Clinical supervision provided
- Fixed-term contract until the 31st December 2023, with the possibility of an extension.
Are You Ready to Help Make a Change?
Butterfly Foundation is Australia’s national charity for eating disorders and body image issues, providing a voice for those affected and the people who care for them. Eating disorders are severe and complex mental illnesses with physical complications, and the medical, psychological, physical and social consequences can be long term and for many, life threatening.
Butterfly advocates for improved services from government, health and mental health organisations, and the eating disorder sector, raising awareness in the media and via community engagement. Butterfly runs Australia’s only national Eating Disorders Helpline, seven days a week; evidence-based clinical treatment and support programs; and delivers prevention initiatives in schools and the community to combat negative body image issues.
About the Role
In this unique role, you will use your clinical knowledge and operational skills to provide oversight and lead the delivery of helpline shifts in a safe and effective manner. As a Helpline Supervisor, you will manage the day-to-day operational responsibilities, whilst working with Helpline counselling team to ensure sound operations of the shift in line with Butterfly National Helpline clinical governance and operational policies. The position will provide direct assistance through live-monitoring and supporting counsellors for debrief, supervision and feedback on counselling practices.
Our warm and supportive Butterfly National Helpline team operates from 8.00am until midnight, 7 days a week which provides flexibility in working arrangements.
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Through strong clinical knowledge, support Helpline Counsellors with clinical risk management in accordance with Helpline protocols and be responsible for clinical decision making, including escalation for crisis support during shift.
- Participate in and facilitate handovers and provide on-shift debrief, and supervision and support to Helpline Counsellors.
- Participate in clinical case reviews and other continuous improvement activities with Clinical & Operations Lead and Clinical Supervisor and ensure identified changes to risk management are implemented during shifts.
- Monitor dashboard and triage workflow and to ensure reasonable wait times, workflow and interaction volumes meets the key performance indicators for Helpline.
- Ensure Counsellors on shift understand and comply with Helpline objectives, performance standards, and policies.
- Provide direct line management for a small team of Counsellors, including monitoring, evaluating, and managing performance to enable individual growth.
- Identify professional development knowledge needs of counsellors and collaborate support with Clinical & Operations Lead and Clinical Supervisor assist in the development and/or delivery of Professional Development for counsellors to monitor and evaluate application of acquired skills.
To see the FULL Selection Criteria, please view the Position Description on our website: www.butterfly.org.au/careers
- Qualifications in Psychology, Counselling, Social work, or other relevant mental health discipline and registration with a relevant professional body (e.g. AHPRA, AASW).
- Minimum of 2 years of working experience in service delivery to clients in mental health, with a preference of having worked with people with an eating disorder in counselling or other support role.
- A broad understanding of the mental health service system in Australia, including the range of professionals and services that work within the mental health sector and telehealth services.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in mental health related helpline/digital mental health service environments.
- Knowledge and understanding of eating disorders and disordered eating, body image concerns for people with an eating disorder and their carers.
- Demonstrated experience in delivery of online mental health programs and support groups.
- Demonstrated clinical and leadership experience including the provision of referral pathways and debrief in Mental Health settings.
- Clear understanding of professional boundaries, confidentiality, privacy principles and practices.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team focus.
- Proven track record in building and maintaining effective working relationships in a team environment.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and an excellent track record in building and maintaining effective working relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Advanced computer skills, electronic recording systems and data management tools.
- Strong organisational skills including the ability to prioritise work, manage multiple tasks, competing priorities and meet deadlines.
Download the full position description
All applicants should supply their resume, and must address the Selection Criteria as detailed in the Position Description in a separate cover letter.
Applications should be submitted by email to Human Resources at email@example.com with Subject Title: Helpline Supervisor
Closing Date: Sunday the 29th of January 2023, please note that if we receive a high level of applications, the vacancy may close earlier than stated. Therefore, we would encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
For enquiries about this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org