Fundraise for us
Fundraising for Butterfly is all about coming together as a community to help us raise funds and awareness to continue to educate and provide treatment and support services for those experiencing eating disorders and negative body image issues across Australia.
Butterfly’s fundraising has always been strongly supported by generous groups of people seeking to do their part to bring about positive change, and for this we thank you. We do however need your support now more than ever.
Organising a community, individual, school or corporate fundraising event for Butterfly can help change someone’s life. We encourage you to get your family, friends and networks together TODAY and hold a ‘feel good’ event to talk about eating disorders, destigmatise the illness, encourage help seeking and importantly raise money so that Butterfly can continue to provide treatment and recovery support services to all those affected. We call this the ‘Butterfly effect’.
“The driving force of my fundraiser was to celebrate the recovery journey of my younger sister, Liana. My family and I wouldn’t be in the place we are now without the support of organisations like Butterfly, and I wanted to help give the gift of recovery to someone else’s family too.” – Melissa Rigby, Community fundraiser
Want to fundraise for Butterfly?
Join the Butterfly Effect
What is the ‘Butterfly Effect’? The ‘Butterfly Effect’ is all about coming together to raise awareness and funds within your social circles and as the effect compounds, the benefits return to do good supporting Butterfly. The impact of many small acts and contributions generates heightened awareness and help make a much stronger impact on the prevention and treatment of eating disorders.
The Butterfly Effect can ignite a passion for positive change, multiply momentum, and provide practical ways to initiate fundraising for more eating disorders services. YOU are the Butterfly Effect.
Join the ‘Butterfly Effect’ by creating a supporter page today!
Peer to Peer Fundraising
A great way to raise funds and awareness for Butterfly is to create a JustGiving supporter page for yourself, organisation or community group. You can set up a profile for your initiative and include information about Butterfly, why you have chosen to support us, photos, videos, event updates and keep a tally of how much you raise. Your supporter page can then be easily shared among your friends, family and work colleagues on social media to help reach your target.
To register your fundraising event with Butterfly, simply complete our Expression of Interest to fundraise form online.
Check out some great ideas for fundraising below
When you fundraise for Butterfly, you are bringing HOPE to those suffering from an eating disorder.
- Request a donation in your name as your Birthday or Christmas gift or other celebration
- Donate to Butterfly in lieu of a gift for friends and family
- Invite friends over for dinner, instead of eating out, and everyone donate the amount they would have spent on dinner
- Hold a movie night at your house and a show feel good / positive movie
- Bonbonniere gift – donate the amount you would have spent on a bonbonniere gift for guests on your wedding day
- Donate ‘in memory’ – request for donations in lieu of flowers or make a donation that will leave a legacy for your loved one. Contact us to find out how we can best support you by providing donations slips with envelopes for the funeral
- Sign up for Everyday Hero – Peer to Peer Fundraising. See link below
- Ride a bike, push a pram or wheelchair, run, skip, swim or hop for Butterfly!
Organising a community fundraising event can help educate the broader community about the serious of eating disorders and negative body image.
- Host a bake sale
- Organise a themed walk and have friend and family sponsor you to walk
- Hold a raffle
- Hold an online auction
- Host a car boot sale
- Host a trivia night event
There are a number of ways your school can get involved and help build a strong sense of positive body image, self-esteem and resilience in order to overcome these negative messages.
- Organise a special themed dress up or casual clothes day. Request a gold coin donation
- Sell baked goods, lolly bags, fruit cups, icy poles or hold a soup kitchen
- Hold a movie marathon day or night at school
- Hold a lunch time trash & treasure sale
- Hold a sports day or ‘colour run’ type event. Use blue powder to represent Butterfly
- Hold a concert & charge a gold coin donation to attend
- Hold a sausage sizzle / big BBQ
- Spray paint your hair, wear your favourite hat or touch of purple to school
It is through the generous support of workplaces and corporates that we are able to carry out the work that we do.
- Organise an online or live auction in the workplace
- Organise a themed dress up or casual clothes day in the workplace. Request a gold coin donation to participate
- Host a sausage sizzle/Big BBQ
- Hold a raffle
- Set up a regular donation via your workplace giving program and request a matched gift from your employer
- Organise a ride or walk and charge people a fee to participate
The sky’s the limit when it comes to fundraising!
Check out Jack Symond’s fundraiser for Butterfly and Black Dog Institute – Jack fundraised over $275,000 by swimming across the English Channel.
Jack was motivated to raise funds for mental health because of his lived experience with depression, and his sister Sami’s battle with an eating disorder.
How do you get your donation to us?
If you are hosting a fundraising event, you can collect the funds and then donate them by credit card via our website. Be sure to select ‘Community Fundraising Donation’ in the Select Donation Type drop down field. You can also send a cheque or credit card payment in the post or request Butterfly’s bank details for a bank transfer. Please be sure to provide event details and who the tax receipt should be made out to via email or post.
For more information about fundraising for Butterfly and joining the ‘Butterfly Effect’, please contact Butterfly’s Fundraising Manager Elizabeth Herd, on 0408 751 672 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- $20 could enable parents of someone with an eating disorder to attend a Butterfly face-to-face support group.
- $50 could assist our National Helpline counsellors develop resources to support individual and family recovery.
- $100could support more schools with the facilitation of our first digital body image program for boys
- $300 could enable someone experiencing an eating disorder and their support person to attend a six week face-to-face recovery program.
- $500 could assist a Butterfly sessional presenter to educate and empower teachers, students and parents within schools on prevention and early identification.
- $1,000 could enable Butterfly to train and educate rural or remote community to deliver Butterfly’s recovery and carer support programs.
- $5,000 could assist with the relocation of an entire family so their loved one can attend our Intensive Outpatient Program.
Please get involved and help us make a real and positive difference for Butterfly and all those experiencing eating disorders and negative body image TODAY. Remember you are a part of the solution! Thank you.